Switches that trigger the proper response can lull the homeowner into a sense of false security. Aging electrical systems can pose significant risks as larger demands are placed on each circuit. New appliances and electronics are larger, yet more efficient. Older homes require specialized care when accessing electrical power through older outlets and switches.
In certain instances, updating the entire system is the prudent approach for safety. Signs that your home needs an electrical system update might include:
- Minor load increases cause breakers to trip or fuses to blow
- Fingers sense the presence of electricity when an appliance is touched
- Dimming lights when appliances are running
- Flickering lights as electrical equipment switches on
- Consistent burning smell in the same location
- Discoloration on the outlet plates
- Outlets that are two-pronged
- Circuits do not have GFCI, or ground fault circuit interrupters
Homes that were built in the middle of the 20th century might have aluminum wiring throughout the entire house. This is considered a significant safety hazard that will require attention. Aluminum wiring can cause house fires.
If you have concerns about the wiring in your home in Conejo Valley, Westlake Village, or Thousand Oaks contact Fornoff Electric for more information, today!
Mention this post and receive $100 off regular price (reg price $149) -doesn’t include additional hours or material.
(Any homes built 40 years ago; your home insurance company requires that your home is checked out for system upgrades. If for some reason something happens to your home and it was never checked out by a specialist your monthly premium could raise!)